Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Writing

So I gave myself a word count goal of 100,000 words. This book (or rather these books) is currently at 80K words and still rolling along. I didn't intend for this to be broken down into a series, however, I'm liking the idea more and more.

The attention span of our society seems to dwindle faster and faster. So perhaps breaking this down into several books would be the best idea. I'm not even to the main battle yet. I have Post-It notes all over my map at the moment with notes.

I have put off editing a book that is completely finished, so while I know exactly where my current story is headed (and can pick that thread up easily) I may turn back to editing. The finished book sits at just over 50K words at the moment. I'd like to get it polished and submitted. I've had to work very hard at not being Miss Instant Gratification, but it has been quite awhile since I've looked at the MS. I never thought this current MS would keep rolling like this. However, it does take time to build up to battles, to actually move the characters about like pieces on a chess board. Then to put both armies into place, move factions around and let the battle commence! Phew! It is hard work keeping so many balls up in the air, juggling.

I've also spent a good portion of today working on my website logo. More like a personal "business" logo. It is nice to put my art skills to good use. That degree in Advertising Art still hasn't gone to complete waste! I'm pretty proud of my graphic art skills.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

2 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Good luck with getting your plot to iron itself out! And it'll be waiting there for you when you get that editing done! You go!

Mel Chesley said...

Thanks Elana! I'm looking forward to utilizing what you've taught me in the query blogs you've posted. They somehow do not seem so daunting anymore! Thanks for that!!!