Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Book Review: Wake...


I'm sick.

I'm bored as hell.

So what do I do? I read. Want to know how long it took me to read 'Wake'? Prolly not. It got devoured in a sickening 7 hours. Yep. There are times I wish I could read a little slower, you know?

Anyway.

Here is the blurb for Wake:
Not all dreams are sweet.

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....


And now the review. I absolutely freakin' loved it! It is a YA Fiction by Lisa McMann. It helps she grew up in Michigan, where I grew up. And now lives in Phoenix, Arizona, which I am deeply sorry she does. Hey, I lived in Tucson. Phoenix is horrible. But this isn't about geography, people, this is about her book.

I love Janie. I can see why some teens would connect with Janie. I did as an adult, but that's just me. I also love Cabel. What a doll. Jerk, I thought at first, but an absolute doll. So I understand these books are a series. I will have to read the next one. My daughter sort of dropped this in my lap today, told me she has to take it back to the library.

McMann's style is ... different. I don't know how to explain it. I've never read a book in this style before. I like it, but it is stilted. You'll have to read it to understand what I am trying to say. However the idea that Janie falls into other people's dreams is pretty. Darn. Cool. There are a few bits of slang in there that will end up dating her book horribly. She mentioned NSYNC, which... wow. This book is kinda old with that reference used. I didn't like the boy band personally, but hey. It might throw someone off later on... saying, "Who the hell is N S Y N C?"

While the style is strange, the writing sort of stilted, it flows. Very. Well. I mean, come on. I read it in 7 hours. It takes me around 8 or 9 to read the latest House of Night books by Kristen and P.C. Cast. Sometimes 5. Without interruptions. Would I suggest this book? (Wake. Keep up!) Yes. To teens? Absolutely. Mild language? Yes. F word is slightly prominent, but it is in my household as well. Yeah... well. Sex? Um. Suggestive would be more like it. Hey, it's about dreams! It has to happen and our little Janie remains pure. At least in the first book. But I still would recommend it.

If I have to rate it, I give it three out of four Jolly Rogers.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehe Jolly Rogers!!!! aww poor you hope you get better soon :o) XX

I love the cover pictures on books I've been seeing lately.