Friday, April 15, 2011

Moving Forward...

Despite all that is going on in my life, I have to keep moving forward. I cannot just stop blogging, believe it or not, I miss it! I need to get back into the swing of things, I need to write or at least attempt to edit.

Several things are happening in my life that, let's just say... suck. My husband and I are well, our daughter is working and her boyfriend is trying to stay on the right path so that he may continue to date our daughter.... Let's leave it at that, shall we?

Things are moving forward and now, I must as well. Bear with me while I get my feet back in the pool. Posts might be sporadic at best, but I will do my best to get back into the blogging world, keep my website updated and running and get back to editing.

One of my favorite things about writing is the opportunity to mold and shape characters and circumstances. Does that make me a control freak? Probably. I am a member of WDC (Writing.com) and every so often I log in to check out the newsletters sent by people of the community there to help inspire other writers. One of the topics this time was of "Show vs. Tell".

People began arguing, apparently, that it is too hard to show and not tell. But if you are going to tell a story, shouldn't you be in front of a fireplace in a damp, noisy tavern with serving wenches bustling about as they try to keep their bosoms from exploding out of their bodices? With telling, you are able to use hand gestures, facial expressions and change the emotional tone of your voice to fit the story. This is what the author of the newsletter was trying to get across. Showing in writing may be difficult to do at times, but it certainly is possible. Don't make excuses. I've been accused of telling and not showing. So I try to go back and rework what I've done. It doesn't always work mind you, as there are times when I have my mind set on a certain way a thing is written, but I have to work at being more flexible than that and stop being such a control freak.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Mel! Good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel. Good to have you back :) I'm having trouble even seeing the words on your blog. I dont know if it's my computer gone funny or what. I hope you are well.

Mel Chesley said...

I'll have to look into that Niki, thanks! Usually I can just change the font to black and it works, but I suppose I'll just have to find something piratey that people can read!
And good to be back. :D