Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What Characters...


You know, filtering through blogs today I came across this one over at the Bookshelf Muse.

Just reading through the comments, I saw someone saying how character creation is the 'bane of her existence' and thought to myself, "What? No way!"

Character creation is one of my absolute favorite things about writing! I love it with a capital L-O-V-E! I don't know why. Every character of mine has different traits, different quirks and views on life. They have such unique, individual personalities, it is hard to NOT love them. At least for me.

But character creation is not the only aspect of writing that I enjoy. I enjoy all of it except editing. Ha! Yeah, editing is the bane of my existence. I tend to ramble on and to tighten my story and remove words tends to be heartbreaking. Not only that, the story is written! It's done, it is out of my system, so why do I have to go back to edit and revise it? Well of course I *know* why... I just don't wanna do it. But I have to, I suppose. Ok, so no supposing about it. :D

What is your favorite part of writing? What is your most hated?

5 comments:

Jamie Gibbs said...

I love building culture in my story. Things like folklore and superstition, the little things that connect characters to their world. I usually think of things like personal religious practices for characters to show they they view their world differently. Culture building is definitely my favourite part of writing, followed closely by creating the magic system.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The characters are the first thing I create - and the easiest! I don't mind revisions, either. I guess trying to add description is my bane.

Mel Chesley said...

See, I love all those things too... the folklore, the descriptions, the religious stuffs. XD Good to see you guys :D

Larissa said...

I'm just the opposite. I LOVE editing. I remember taking my novel, Angel Diaries, and just tearing it up so bad that I practically had to start from scratch. It was such a freeing experience and it made my story so much stronger. I like making the readers think that the bad guys are vampires but they aren't. It's like a gotcha game! I love that. I also love the romance and the humor in my books. Those scenes tend to stick in my head as I write them and come across so clearly that it seems like I was there.

I can't really think of what I absolutely hate. I don't particuarly like trying to solve a problem in my book. Like I know what the problem is but I hate trying to testing the solution over and over again and not really knowing if it works. Or having this frustration of knowing that the book in my head isn't what's reflected on the page. I really hate that.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

As I write poetry mainly about my expereiences of life I love to see it "Come Alive" on my blog.

Enjoyed your post, have a good day.
Yvonne.