Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My Characters...

I love my characters. They are, after all, an extension of myself. Well. Not all of them, but a few are.

I've been working close to 40 hours a week these days, plus the 3-4 hours a couple times a week on my days off. My main job's hours are at night. I don't get home until about 10:30 - 11:00 p.m. I go to work around 2:30 p.m. so my days are pretty messed up.

Finding a flow to blog around those hours has been pretty bad. I get so absorbed in my work, then come home and just plop down in front of the T.V. Even World of Warcraft and EverQuest 2 have taken a hit as in I don't play as much.

Last night, I was sweeping the floors just before closing and I actually got lost in the inner workings of my mind as I swept. Little bits and pieces of my story came out, things I would like to see happen in the third book. At one point I stopped and thought, "I'm just so tired, I don't want to go home and sit in front of the computer".

And my characters responded. Sounds funny, doesn't it? But they said, "We know you're tired, we're just keeping things going here in the back of your mind til you find time."

I know that's just my subconscious way of telling me that no matter what I am doing, I'm always writing somewhere in the back of my mind. It just seemed silly to me that it was in the voice of a couple of my characters.

I do have some more interviews planned. I'm waiting on a couple of my friends. I also want to thank all of you for being so patient and waiting for me to blog something. Especially my new followers. I mean really, you didn't sign up to follow this blog to see absolutely nothing, right? Right!

We're still waiting for the winter break up and holding our breath to see what is going to happen in our house. We've already had signs of flooding on some of the warmer days, so that will be yet one more thing to take my attention and time away from here. But as always I will manage something and persevere.

Hope you all are having a good week! Have a great weekend if I don't post something by then.

10 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I sometimes get my best inspirations when I'm doing something mind numbing...like mowing the grass or cleaning or just driving. It sounds like you do too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's why I enjoy playing my guitar - ideas come to me. Well, I like it for other reasons as well!
Looks like a real blog post to me, Mel.

Unknown said...

I can relate with the characters talking to you thing. I call it "character haunting," and I've done a couple of posts about it. It's just another wonderful wierd occurance in the life of a writer. Happy writing! :)

Angela Brown said...

Oh to be a writer. The characters, they can be darlings sometimes, reminding you they are there when you're ready.

Rest is important though and so is working towards your own balance.

Anonymous said...

Inspiration comes to me when I am driving or drinking - obviously not at the same time I hasten to add!

Charmaine Clancy said...

If only our characters would get started on typing it up until we get time :)
Wagging Tales

Unknown said...

I hope your house stays flood free, Mel :)

Is it possible to record yourself talking while you work? That way you can get your ideas down without needing a pen/keyboard to hand. When I used to do shifts as an early morning cleaner I'd have tons of ideas while working but always forgot them by the time I got home.

The Owl Wood said...

For years I thought I was just insane and hearing ghostly voices in my head, then I realised that it was my characters talking...

Jennie Bennett said...

I think it's awesome that your characters spoke to you, that means it's worth the book your writing. just don't give up and you will get there!

Mel Chesley said...

@ Michael ~ Yes, if I go for a walk, I suddenly start to think about stuff. Hard to walk around here in winter though, lol!

@ Donna ~ Lol! I hope not at the same time!

@ Charmaine ~ I wish my characters would get busy typing it all up as well.

@ Jamie ~ You know, that's a good idea. I'll have to get a pocket recorder. Hopefully my customers won't think I'm crazy, talking to myself. lol!

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and words of encouragement. I sincerely appreciate them!