Friday, April 20, 2012

Why Didn't I Write That?...

Ever have a really cool idea for a story and just didn't write it, only to find a similar story out there on the shelves?

Yeah.

I had a really cool story back when I was about nineteen and I did write it up. No one ever saw it, because since it was one of my first works, ever, I thought, "Oh hell, this is crap." And I never did a thing with it. So just the other day, I'm looking over some new books (well, new to me... we get everything about a decade late up here in Alaska...) and come across a book with an eerily similar plot line/story.

That's about the time I said, "Ah hell" to myself and made the person walking by me towards the liquor section of the store give me an odd look. Pssh... yeah, I'm talking to myself and you're going to go buy alcohol and drink yourself to sleep and you give ME the odd look?

Anyway, I've had this happen to me on more than one occasion. The similar story, not the odd look. Ok. Well. The odd look, too. I get those a lot more often than you would think.

Just think, if you HAD written that story all those years ago or just last month and had done something with it, it would be your name on the cover and not ... well whoever did write it.

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think it happens to everyone.

Stephanie said...

I remember picking up a book and realizing it was basically an idea I'd had years ago, but never followed through on. But you can't run with all your ideas, and there's no sense carrying on with a story you dislike.

Mel Chesley said...

Very true, Alex and Stepanie.