Monday, May 21, 2012

Over 400 And Still Going...

I realized the other day that I have posted over 400 blogs. I have had over 30,000 page views (WOW!) and I still gain a couple of new followers every month.

Wow.

I'm still trying to maintain things here, still trying to keep it about writing and not about whining...

Hey, key word here is "Trying".

I'll be getting a handle on my money issues. My husband and I got a paper route (makes us sound like a couple of kids...) to help with the bills. We'll be doing it together, which will make it nice. We don't get to see each other much these days anyway.

So the last time I posted, it was due to a huge issue someone had with someone who fancied themselves a publisher. It sort of reminded me of the time when I worked closely with a fellow fantasy author after my huge debacle with PA. She had published with them as well. We helped lots of people at one point by basically doing lots of marketing for new authors. That's when we had the Author Trading Cards.

Those are still cool.

We had also compiled a few anthologies and tried to help promote authors even further. But, looking back on it now, we still didn't know a whole hell of a lot about the writing/publishing. We never made anyone mad, I don't think. At least, no one sent us any hate mail.

I looked over one of the short stories I had submitted for the first anthology and I cringed, then laughed. Mostly at myself.

Wow, did that thing need some serious editing. And knowing what I know now, I see where I can polish things up and possibly send it off to some betas, have them help and then find an editor.

I have also been thinking these days, that once our bills get back on track, I might go back to school and take some writing and English courses to better myself on that score. I would love to be an editor someday... I'm good at finding issues in other people's work. Just not my own.

Otherwise, I'm going to learn how to do tattoos. I can create beautiful works of art that will be seen often and cause people pain at the same time. What's not to love?

So have you looked over any old stories you've written and thought, "Omigosh! What the hell was I thinking?" or was your work golden right out of the box?

Have a great week everyone! See you all soon.

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Classes? You are serious, Mel!