Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sweet Treat, Sneak Peek!...

All right! I'm at the point where I can share snippets of my book with you all until it is released. And possibly even after to keep up interest, of course.

So I thought, hmm... what could I do to make this a bit more interesting? Well, since Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas are creeping up on us fast—Cookies!

I'm going to share a cookie recipe and a snippet. So you can make a sweet treat after I give you a sneak peek at my book.

Sound fair? All right, then, here we go!

I'm going to start with this recipe I found in the Better Homes and Gardens Ultimake Cookies and Bars magazine. I have yet to find another special interest issue like it.

This cookie fits Kayta. (Yes, I paired up the cookie with the character...) I have yet to make these, but they are on my cookie list this year.

~Chai Moons~

1 Cup softened butter     1 Cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon leaf chai tea, finely ground     1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda     1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 Cups all purpose flour     Butter frosting      Demerara sugar

In large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer 30 seconds. Add in all ingredients except flour, blend well. Slowly add in flour, mix well. Divide dough in half and chill for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll one half of dough until 1/4 inch thick. Using a 3 inch crescent shaped cutter, cut out dough. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and backe 8-10 minutes. Frost cooled cookies with butter frosting and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.

~Kayta~ 

Kayta sat up, sweat drenched her skin and she clutched at the sheet that covered her. She couldn't breathe, her throat constricted. After a moment, she gasped, filling her lungs with air, tears streaming down her cheeks. She looked around frantically, trying to get her bearings.
“Easy now,” someone moved to sit beside her and held her gently by the shoulders.
“Wh-where am I?” she whispered.
“Shh, do nae speak. Try tae be quiet,” the voice was low, the accent odd to her ears. Kayta pulled up the sheet to her chin and looked around. Beds lined the walls on either side, and lanterns were lit and turned low. In the dim light, she could see the face of the person who sat beside her, trying to soothe her.
“Who are you?” she whispered again. The man chuckled, his long black hair hung loose around his shoulders. There were bruises on his face, a greenish tinge indicating that they were healing as well as a few cuts.
“I'm Farrehn,” he told her. He turned his head to make sure they were not disturbing anyone, and his eyes caught the lamplight. The red of his eyes indicated his race.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm, chai tea cookies sound tasty. If only I wasn't on this stupid diet :(

Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom

Mel Chesley said...

I know, right? I'm right there with you, Jamie. :(

H.C. said...

Great stuff, both the introduction to Kayta and the recipe, Mel :-)