Friday, April 12, 2013

K Is For Kings...

Ah yes, kings. Gotta have kings in our stories, because they're the only ones in fantasy half the time that have the energy, the funds and the drive to start wars.

I have lots of different kingdoms in my world. Some are small and some are large. Some are too big for their britches and the rest of the world is afraid of the power they hold.

It is a good thing for the rest of the world that the two largest kingdoms have spent ages warring with each other. While this has kept them occupied, it has also become tiresome. The final battle is about to pick up the pace, but when one of the kings is defeated, what will happen to the rest?

If the tyrannical king wins, he's sure to just walk in and take over. If the other king wins, there will be peace. Or will there?

There are lots of reasons for kings to start wars. All you have to do is look back on history and mythology. Look at Helen of Troy. Fell in love with someone else and started a war because she left her husband. "The face that launched a thousand ships..."

Can you imagine starting a war over love? Men (as in mankind... not trying to be sexist!) have fought over lesser things.

If you want your kings to fight, pick a topic, any topic. It could be over a gambling debt, if you so choose.

Kings may be rulers, but it doesn't mean they are leaders. I have a few kings who are weak, who whine about being put in their position yet do nothing about it. I have kings who do do something about it. They range from compassionate to cry babies.

So depending on the king, you could have some fun with your world or you can make it miserable for all involved.

9 comments:

S. L. Hennessy said...

Haha, another k is for kings post (just like mine). Great minds think alike.

Happy A to Z blogging.
pensuasion.blogspot.com

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good point that they aren't always leaders. Certainly not always good ones.

Anonymous said...

I like how your king characters are weak and whine. We all have nobility and compassion in us. :)

Unknown said...

Cry baby kings, gotta love getting annoyed with them.

I really like kings who have depth, ones that add an interesting mix to the political situation whatever it may be.

Mel Chesley said...

@ S. L. ~ Oooh, I will be stopping by for sure!

@ Alex ~ Yep, they may have the power, but they sure don't know what to do with it.

@ Tara ~ Yes we do. Compassion is important.

@ Janeal ~ I like strong kings, but I also like kings who don't follow the mainstream politics as well. Gotta keep it interesting!

Unknown said...

Awesome post. I like the range your Kings have.
Peanut Butter and Whine

Jai said...

The best kings are the ones who listen to all sides but takes responsibility for the decision. But if they were all great kings there would be nothing to write about.

Kings make me think of Game of Thrones. Lots and lots of kings.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

Very instructional post. I could be a king -- a good one I think. I have it in me. But your descriptions definitely make me wonder whether I'd be up to the challenge. Very much enjoyed this.

And thank you kindly for your nice comment on my A to Z "Kindness" post.

Cheers.

Unknown said...

I had a similar set up, where there was a single high king and then thirteen kingdoms with lesser kings (some were lesser in more than once sense). Having warring kingdoms was a fun aspect to write :)

Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom