Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Musings...

I had started a discussion on the Word Weavers group on Facebook. We discussed a certain book and whether or not the author was laughing all the way to the bank or if the author regretted writing what they wrote.

Notice I'm not mentioning book titles or authors. Simply because there are dozens of books out there that are constantly bashed in one way, shape or form.

But it does bring up the question if any author has ever regretted writing something. You hear of musicians regretting some songs. Like the guy who came up with the idea of either 'We Are the World' or, actually, I think it was the Christmas song back in the 80's. I read an article last December about that guy and he said he hated the song. Regretted ever writing it.

I'm sure the same can be said about anything, really. Regretting a painting/drawing or sculpture. People are only human, after all. A flash of inspiration during your younger years may very well lead to a regret later in life. Right?

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you think some authors might regret something they've published? Or do you think they just laugh their way to the bank if they're successful? Have you published something you regret?

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think with any artist, there is a possibility that over time you'll start to hate something. I know the band Warrant HATED performing Cherry Pie.
As far as regret, I'm sure there are some books authors regret publishing.
I have no regrets though.

Mel Chesley said...

Huh, I never knew that. I used to be a huge fan of Warrant. Learn something new every day, right?

Unknown said...

I think its in par for the course for some writers to hate their earlier work, especially if its uber successful. Its like when an 80s band makes a new album today and goes on tour, and all the fans want to hear the greatest hits. I'd imagine they'd be ever so slightly bitter about the fact that people aren't giving their new stuff the time it deserves.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I wonder that too. But I think they're laughing all the way to the bank.