Thursday, February 6, 2014

Book Review: Unknown by Melissa Pearl

Title: Unknown (The Elements Trilogy)

Author: Melissa Pearl

Pages: 276 File Size: 3778 KB

ASIN: B00DCEORZA

Purchase: Amazon, Smashwords
 

About the book (From Amazon):

One prophecy...Two seekers...A journey into the UNKNOWN.

*****

Darkness is covering the land. As the city of Mezrah grows with power and greed, the rest of the world can only stand by and wait for their inevitable destruction. The only hope against this growing power is an ancient prophecy that people have stopped believing in.


My thoughts:


This is a fantasy I could sink my teeth into. It's got a lot of the fantasy elements I'm looking for and it isn't complex. It is a nice, easy read.


What I liked about it: The characters, Kyla and Jethro, were well developed, as were the rest of the cast of characters. There is a bit of intrigue in here, something you wouldn't have expected until you reach the end. I certainly didn't, and I'm usually pretty good at guessing what my happen. I was way, way off on this one.


Kyla is a young princess and only surviving heir to the throne. Her father and brothers were killed in a brutal war, one in which they were severely outnumbered. Jethro is her lifelong pal, born on the same day, they have a connection that cannot be severed. Especially not now.


What I didn't like: I have to admit, I felt that the budding relationship, the adult one, between Kyla and Jethro took precedence over all. It wasn't a "background" story. Near the end of the book, I wanted to call up the author and say, "Okay, I get it. They have feelings for each other!". Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just not huge on romance taking over a story that is clearly destined to be a great, epic tale. There were some typos that sort of threw me off, but no book is every perfect, we all know that.


My rating:


All in all, I have to give this first book in the series a 4.5 skull and crossbones rating. Well done!

No comments: